The YKK sponsored Widnes Wild lost the second game of their back to back challenge weekend with a 5-10 defeat at the hands of Moralee Division Blackburn Hawks at Planet Ice Widnes on Sunday.
The Wild had picked up their first ever win over a higher division side with a 2-3 victory away in Blackburn the night but the home game at Widnes saw a much better organised and more imposing Blackburn team and they took the lead just 70 seconds into the game.
It was 0 – 2 to Blackburn by the time Shaun Dippnall fired in the opening goal for Widnes and 2 more goals for the visitors before the end of the first period left the Wild with a lot of catching up to do.
Widnes picked up somewhat after the first break and a 3 – 3 second period – with goals from Danny Bullock, Matt Tarpey and Peter Toth – saw them steady the ship. The Wild came out of the dressing room much the better side in the third period but any hopes of a late fight-back were dashed with Blackburn’s 8th goal on 46 minutes.
Daniel Fay fired in the Wild’s 5th and final goal on 50 minutes and Blackburn hit two more to finish the game in double figures.
Hawks’ highly experienced Aaron Davies – a member of their “double double” winning squad and former Elite League player – caused the most damage, scoring 5 of the Blackburn goals and was deservedly named MVP for the visitors, while the accolade for the Wild went to Lee Kemp. The MVP Awards were presented by Kat Garner of the Widnes Wild women’s team.
The YKK-sponsored Widnes Wild are next in action this Sunday, 15th September when they take on Sheffield Senators in their first Laidler Division game of the new season at Planet Ice Widnes. Face Off is at 5.30 p.m. and doors open at 4.45 p.m.
- Sunday, 8th September 2019 – Challenge Match
- Widnes Wild 5 Blackburn Hawks 10
- Period Scores: 1 – 4, 3 – 3, 1 – 3
- Shots on Goal: Wild 36 Hawks 31 (7 – 13; 12 – 7; 17 – 11)
- Penalties in Minutes: Widnes Wild 6 Hawks 28
- YKK Widnes Wild scoring: Matt Tarpey 1 + 1, Daniel Fay 1 + 1, Peter Toth, Danny Bullock and Sean Dippnall all 1 + 0, Michal Novak 0 + 2; Jakub Hajek and Ryan Kemp 0 + 1.
- Match Officials: Chris Wells (Referee), Calum Neenan (Linesman), Tom Walker (Linesman)
- MVPs: YKK Widnes Wild – Lee Kemp; Hawks – Aaren Davies (presented by Kat Garner of the Widnes Wild Women’s Ice Hockey team)