The Widnes Wild Academy Under 13 team lost 1-13 on Saturday night at Planet Ice Widnes to a very strong and experienced Nottingham U13 team, who extended their lead at the top of the league table.
Nottingham opened the scoring in the 4th minute and were 0-4 up before Aidan Lamb scored what would turn out to be the only goal for Widnes on 14 minutes.
Three unanswered goals in the second period effectively put the game way beyond the Wild’s reach and 6 more in the final period made the final score sound a little more one-sided that the game actually was.
Morgan Busby’s assist on the goal was his first point in Widnes colours and Jared Knowles’ assist brings his tally to 1+2 in his debut season. Lamb’s goal was his 6th of the season and he now sits in third place in the Wild U13’s scoring standings with 6+4 from 10 games.
This is the first season that the Wild Academy have entered teams into the league and they are, for the most part, coming up against long established teams and players with 6 or 7 years playing experience behind them and looked at in this context, a defeat to the league leaders is not a bad result.
The Wild Under 13 team are next in action this Saturday 16th March when they entertain the Grimsby Under 13 team at Planet Ice Widnes. Face off time is 6.50pm and admission is free.
- Saturday 9th March 2019 – EIHA North Under 13 Division 3
- Wild Academy U13s 1 – Nottingham U13s 13
- Period Scores: 1-4, 0-3, 0-6
- Shots on Goal: Widnes 21 – Nottingham 50 (7-20, 6-12, 8-18)
- Penalties In Minutes: Widnes 0 – Nottingham 0
- Widnes Scoring: Aidan Lamb 1+0, Morgan Busby & Jared Knowles both 0+1
- Report by Paul Breeze (www.icehockeyreview.co.uk)
- Photos by Geoff White (www.gw-images.com)