The Widnes Wild women‘s team took a break from their league campaign to play a challenge game away against the Solway Sharks ladies team on Sunday, which ended in a thrilling 7-7 draw.
The Wild women were quickest off the blocks with Charlotte McPhee opening the scoring after just 15 seconds. Two goals from Sav Sumner saw the Wild leading 0-3 after just 8 minutes but two quick goals for Solway pulled them back into contention.
A goal for Philippa Wheeler edged Widnes further ahead again and the score stood at 2-4 at the first period break.
A goal-less second period for the Wild women and two goals for the hosts saw the game tied at 4-4 after 2 periods and an even third period of three goals each – with goals from McPhee, Josie Moran and Katie Adshead for the Wild – ensured an entertaining game right up to the final buzzer.
After the game, Wild womens player coach Amanda Williams said:
“This extra game for us at the weekend was a really valuable exercise with emphasis given to further developing our newer players by encouraging them to have more time on the puck and build their confidence.”
” They accepted the challenge and we were rewarded with first ever goals for Charlotte McPhee (2), Josie Moran and Katie Adshead. Philippa Wheeler’s goal was also her first for the Wild. Hopefully we can get a return game with the Sharks ladies set up in the near future.”
“The mood is positive going into our league game versus MK this weekend. Leen and I are looking forward to seeing what the team can bring, as we look to fight to retain our spot in the Premier league.”
The Wild women now turn their attentions to their home game this Sunday 10th March when they take on the Milton Keynes Falcons in the Women’s Premier League at Planet Ice Widnes – 5.30pm face off.
- Sunday 3rd March 2019 – Challenge Match
- Solway Sharks Ladies 7 – Widnes Wild Women’s Team 7
- Period Scores: 2-4, 0-2, 3-3
- Shots on Goal: Solway 44 – Widnes 33 (15-11, 12-9, 17-13)
- Penalties In Minutes: Solway 2 – Widnes 2
- Widnes Scoring: Charlotte McPhee 2+2, Sav Sumner 2+0, Katie Adshead 1+2, Josie Moran 1+1, Philippa Wheeler 1+0, Laura Marcroft 0+2, Sophie Sinclair Reeks & Kathryn Garner both 0+1
- Report by Paul Breeze (www.icehockeyreview.co.uk)