Match Report:  MK Falcons v Wild Ladies

Ellie Walsh-O’Neill (#3) open the scoring for Widnes away at Milton Keynes on Sunday 

Sunday 15th May: Milton Keynes Falcons 9 – Widnes Wild Ladies 3

The Widnes Wild Ladies team continued their challenging Women’s Premier League season with a 9-3 defeat away to Milton Keynes Falcons on Sunday.

Having lost 2-14 to the same opposition at home the previous weekend, this could definitely be viewed as an improvement – and that is testified by the increase in shots on goal that the Widnes team managed to create as well as the reduction in shots conceded over the course of the game.

The Wild actually scored first with a goal from Ellie Walsh-O’Neill in the 7th minute but that strike was cancelled out by an MK equaliser just 52 seconds later.

The Falcons edged ahead 3 minutes after that but a goal from Widnes captain Leen de Decker levelled the scores again on 12 minutes.

All was looking good until the hosts re-took the lead on 17 minutes and then a hammer blow just 11 seconds from the buzzer saw them take a 4-2 advantage into the first period break.

The second period saw Milton Keynes pile on the pressure and they were rewarded with 3 unanswered goals to lead 7-2 at the second break.

Widnes pulled a goal back through de Decker on 50 minutes but that was as good as it got for the battling Wild women as two late goals for the hosts rounded off the scoring and topped off a 9-3 victory.

Wild netminder Stephanie Drinkwater once again performed miracles in the Widnes goal to keep the score down and managed to save 50 of the 59 shots that she faced.

The Widnes Ladies play their last game of the season away to the Firebees in Slough next Sunday 22nd May – face off 6pm.

That game will have added significance for the Firebees as victory will confirm their place in the end of season playoffs.

©Widnes Wild Ice Hockey Club
All Photos ©Gw-Images unless otherwise stated

AddressThe Hive, Earle Rd, Widnes WA8 0TA

©Widnes Wild 2022. All Rights Reserved.